LISTEN LIVE TO BOARD MEETINGS CLICK HERE FOR PDF
STATE OF HAWAII
BOARD OF EDUCATION
GENERAL BUSINESS MEETING
Patricia Bergin Grant Chun Margaret Cox
Hubert Minn Kenneth Uemura Bruce Voss Jim Williams
Andrea Lyn Mateo (student representative) Colonel Peter Santa Ana (military representative)
Lance Mizumoto, Chairperson
Brian De Lima, Vice Chairperson
NOTICE OF MEETING
Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Queen Liliuokalani Building
1390 Miller Street, Room 404
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
I. Call to Order
II. *Public Testimony on Board of Education ("Board") Agenda Items **updated 09/07/2016**
III. Approval of Meeting Minutes of August 16, 2016
IV. Reports of Board Committees, Board Members, and Superintendent
- Student Achievement Committee Report on: (1) Presentation on standards-based education, including statewide assessment; and (2) Presentation on student achievement centered items in the Department of Education's proposed biennium budget for the 2017-2019 Fiscal Biennium
Reports on Board Community Meetings:
- August 3, 2016 Hawaii County Community Meeting
- August 8, 2016 Maui County Community Meeting
- August 22, 2016 City and County of Honolulu, Kailua Community Meeting
- August 31, 2016 City and County of Honolulu, Manoa Community Meeting **new material 09/02/2016**
C. Superintendent's Report: September 2016 Education Update
V. Discussion Items
- Bright Spots: Pearl City-Waipahu Complex Area and Waipahu High School's "My Voice, My Choice, My Future" through Academies and Early College **new material 09/01/2016**
- Community Stakeholder Presentation: Hawaii P-20's presentation on the impact of dual credit programs, including Early College **Updated 09/09/2016**
- Presentation on Hawaii State Public Library's third quarterly report through August 2016 **revised material 09/08/2016**
VI. *Public Testimony on Board Agenda Items
VII. Action Items
- Board Action on Investigative Committee (a permitted interaction group pursuant to Hawaii Revised Statutes, Section 92-2.5(b)(1) investigating special review of State Public Charter School Commission and legislative proposals relating to charter schools: recommendation concerning special review of State Public Charter School Commission **new material 09/01/2016**
- Board Action on Human Resources Committee recommendation concerning Superintendent's 2015-2016 School Year evaluation
VIII. Executive Session
This portion of the meeting is a closed meeting under Section 92‑4 and Section 92‑5(a)(4), Hawaii Revised Statutes.
- Update on Hawaii State Teachers Association contract, the Hawaii Government Employee Association contracts, and related Hawaii State Labor Board matters
* Any interested person may submit data, views, or arguments in writing to the Board on any agenda item. An individual or representative wishing to testify should register prior to the meeting. Testimony must be related to an item that is on the agenda and such person shall be required to identify the agenda item to be addressed by the testimony. Each individual or representative of an organization is allotted four (4) minutes, or an amount of time otherwise designated by the Chairperson, to provide testimony to the Board.
Audio of this Board meeting will be broadcast live. For information on how to access this audio broadcast, please contact the Board Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 586-3334.
In an effort to reduce costs and increase public access to meeting materials, the Board will no longer be providing copies of materials for distribution. Instead, at each meeting there will be two (2) folders of materials for public review and, effective immediately, materials can be viewed online at www.boe.hawaii.gov. For those unable to print, the Board Office will make copies of such materials at a cost of $0.25 per sheet.
Persons requiring special assistance or services, such as a sign language interpreter, should call (808) 586-3334 at least three (3) business days before the meeting.
Chairperson Office Hour: The Board Chairperson is available to meet with interested members of the public on matters related to the BOE and public education on the day of the meeting noted above from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the BOE Office (1390 Miller Street, Room 404, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813), by appointment only. If you would like to meet with the Board Chairperson, please call the BOE office at (808) 586-3334, no later than the day prior to the meeting date, for an appointment. If this is not possible, please feel free to email your questions and comments directly to the Board Chairperson at BOE_Hawaii@notes.k12.hi.us. Thank you.
Lance Mizumoto, Board Chairperson