EVALUATION OF THE SUPERINTENDENT OF EDUCATION AND THE STATE LIBRARIAN
The evaluation of the Superintendent of Education and the State Librarian is a primary responsibility of the Hawaii State Board of Education. This process is necessary to ensure that Hawaii public schools and libraries are successful in addressing the needs of the communities to which they are responsible.
The Superintendent of Education’s performance shall be annually appraised primarily in terms of his/her contributions to improving instruction and learning in the schools. The State Librarian’s performance shall be reviewed each year to determine his/her contributions to encouraging literacy and lifelong learning among the citizens of our state.
The Superintendent of Education and the State Librarian are each evaluated annually on a formal basis to improve their performance and service. These evaluations are carried out in relation to their written goals and objectives, with each being a fully involved participant in the evaluation process.
The annual evaluation is directed toward improving performance through successful attainment of their respective goals and objectives. Other purposes of the annual evaluation include but may not be limited to:
1. Documenting the total contribution which the Superintendent of Education and the State Librarian make to programs for which they are responsible;
2. Ensuring the Superintendent of Education and the State Librarian see the relationship between their performance and their positions’ responsibilities;
3. Measuring the effectiveness of the communication between the Hawaii State Board of Education and the Superintendent of Education and the State Librarian;
4. Determining their abilities to handle tasks and duties assigned to them; and
5. Monitoring changes or additions to the directions in which the Superintendent of Education and the State Librarian are taking their organizations.
The performance evaluation process is designed to give the State Board of Education and the Superintendent of Education and State Librarian an opportunity to discuss events pertaining to their performance during the year and to make preliminary plans for the upcoming one. The review and evaluation of their performance will be conducted annually.
In addition to the formally scheduled annual performance review, informal, periodic discussion and evaluation of progress shall take place throughout the year between the Hawaii State Board of Education and the Superintendent of Education/State Librarian whenever the Board of Education or the Superintendent/State Librarian perceives it to be necessary. During these periodic review sessions, progress toward achievement can be discussed and goals and objectives may be revised.